Pages

January 28, 2011

Read this!

Tyler gave me this book for Christmas, and though I'd never heard of it before, I trusted that he knows me and knows what I enjoy. So I dived in, and I can testify that he did not let me down! I think I set a personal record in finishing a book before the groundhog got a chance to see his shadow!
In short, The Story of God, the Story of Us is the Bible in a nutshell -  plain and simple. It is Genesis to Revelation beautifully written in narrative form.  (To be technical, it is a metanarrative, which is a story about a story, encompassing and explaining other "little stories" within a grand scheme, if that makes sense!)
You hear the Old Testament story from an aging Israelite along with other Hebrews who are gathered around a campfire on consecutive Sabbaths while in exile in Babylon. A Jewish house church leader continues the Story by conveying it to her congregation of believers and an intrigued Gentile newcomer.
Like as with a movie, story has the power to bring you up close and personal to the raw emotions and senses present in the Scripture - emotions that God always intended to engage within us.
So along with being roused from a bit of winter slumber by hearing and receiving from the Word in a fresh way, I also came away with some questions which sprang from hearing known texts from a different slant.
I do have one disclaimer, though! I do not wholly agree with the last chapter, which is his rendering of the book of Revelation. He presents the "Beast" as Rome instead of the Antichrist and the "other beast" as the imperial Roman cult rather than the False Prophet, but he mostly just makes the statement in an unqualified way. Being a story and not a commentary, he is not forced to flesh out the details to substantiate himself, which is understandable, but it was a bit anticlimactic nonetheless.
So while I cannot give it unreserved accolades, I still heartily suggest that it should be the next addition to your home library!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...