Pages

October 11, 2010

We Need a Judge!

Tonight as I sit in my nice, quiet house reading Psalm 2 and Matthew 6 and enjoying the cool air of early fall that drifts in through the open windows, suddenly the peace is broken by shouts of profanity as couple's argument spilled out into their front yard a few houses down. My stomach cringes. "Why do the nations rage against the Lord?" comes to mind as He is somehow brought into their argument through their cursing. Then I hear smaller voices - children. Ugh, now all I can do is pray, pray to the God who sees and cares and will answer. I pray to the kind God, the just God, the Judge who is slow to anger and rich in mercy. Oh, how we are in such need of the Judge to come and make all wrong things right!
Then a thought hit me from what I just read in Matthew 6. When we enter into the secret place, He is already there. The secret place - you know the place where no one is looking? We all have one, but what happens there is the key. And whatever we do in that place, the Lord will make it known publicly. If our eyes are fixed on Him in secret - when no one else is looking - He will reward us, but if all manner of wickedness is found in our secret place when we think no one can see or discover, it will be to our shame.
The truth of my neighbors' situation came to light tonight when the pressure of life's circumstances (i.e. relational problems in this case) squeezed their hearts. What we do in secret - behind closed doors - will one day be brought into the light for all eyes to see. He sees in secret. Tonight folks up and down my street peered through dark shades to catch a glimpse of what was transpiring on their street on such a peaceful night. More than an embarrassment, I would call it a tragedy. It was tragic on many levels. As the man drove off with a loaded down Explorer - with mattress on top - another covenant is broken. Another, "I do...in good times and in bad," is negated, or maybe this pair never had a covenant. Tragic nonetheless. Tragic that children have to witness anger and hatred spewing from the mouths and hearts of those closest to them. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks...
It is in moments like these that I feel like I understand and see the wisdom of intercession a bit more. Thank You, Jesus, for giving us Your prayer - the Lord's Prayer - that great and all-encompassing prayer to cry out on behalf of not only our own hearts but those around us who are at odds with You. Give me grace in the secret place to give my devotion to You, for I am longing for the Day when You return. Until then, along with the Spirit, I cry, "Come!"

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...