......wife, mother, friend, intercessor, singer, songbird, one who longs....for Jesus' return
October 17, 2011
Scripture - Making It Stick
I highly value scripture, and I desire to grow more in both my understanding as well as my remembrance of these precious words. It has been said that you don't really know something unless you can put it in your own words, and since the most effective prayer is speaking back to God what He has already spoken to me (ie the Bible), then I am taking this to heart. In so doing, I like to create what is called a Personal Paraphrase Version (PPV) of Bible passages. Doing this little exercise really helps me not just gloss over the words but take them a step further to where my heart and mind really connect with and remember the words.
Hopefully I will soon post on another helpful tool called the Cross-Reference Version (CRV). It takes a little more explanation, and so since it is late, I'll just start off tonight with my PPV for Psalm 130. I love it! This is fool-proof, easy, and enjoyable prayer to me!
1 From the deepest places, I call out to You. I call Your attention to the depths of me that no one else sees - none other knows. Hear me. Help me in my weakness.
3 O my God, if you remembered all sin and held it against every person, who could ever dream of standing before You in Your holiness? Thank You, my God, for Your gracious and merciful forgiveness, for because of it I can live, move, and have my being in You - for You - never forgetting what You have done for me - therefore living in awe and fear of You.
5 The only expectation I have for my soul's longings and desires to be fulfilled is You. Your Word, Your covenants, Your promises are true. I hope in You. When I feel nothing, I still wait another day - with hope and not despair - for fulfillment. With eager and earnest expectation I wait on You even more than I expect to see the sun rise tomorrow morning without fail. Surely You will answer.
7 O my soul, have this kind of eager expectation of the Lord - because His love does not fail and He redeems to the uttermost, completely! He Himself will deliver you from the smallest of sins - everything that hinders love. Surely He will do this. So wait, I say, wait on the Lord.
Labels:
prayer Word
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment